Christchurch Town Hall and John Edward Walcott blue plaque in Christchurch
Originally constructed in 1746 in the Market Place at the junction with the High Street and Castle Street
THE TOWN HALL was rebuilt on this site in 1860 by public subscription generously supported by the Borough's MP, Admiral John Edward Walcott of Winkton Lodge
The Christchurch Town Hall, since 2007 formally known as the Christchurch Town Hall of the Performing Arts, opened in 1972, is Christchurch's premier performing arts centre. It is located in the central city on the banks of the Avon River overlooking Victoria Square. It was situated opposite the now-demolished Christchurch Convention Centre. Due to significant damage sustained during the February 2011 Christchurch earthquake the Christchurch Town Hall is closed until the end of 2013 at the earliest. Council staff have recommended demolition of all but the main auditorium. At a meeting in November 2012, however, councillors voted to rebuild the entire hall.