When repairs were being made to this building in 1959 the carved stones displayed in this wall were found. One stone above this plaque is Saxon work of the 9th century, the others are Norman. They
probably came from the Church of St. Ruel, the site of which lies to the south of here. The church was in existence by 1172. Some bricks from a Roman building which lay beneath the church are also built into this wall.