David Collins and George P Harris black plaque in Exeter
Gandy Street was the childhood home of both Colonel David COLLINS RM first Judge Advocate of New South Wales (1788-96) and first Lieut. Governor of Tasmania (1804-10) and George P HARRIS first Deputy Surveyor General of Tasmania (1804-10) and previously with Col. Collins at Port Phillip.
Colonel David Collins (3 March 1756 – 24 March 1810) was the first Lieutenant Governor of the Colony of Van Diemens Land, founded in 1804, which in 1901 became the state of Tasmania in the Commonwealth of Australia.
George Prideaux Robert Harris (1775–1810) was the deputy surveyor in the early days of Van Diemen's Land (now Tasmania), Australia, from settlement in 1803 until his death in Hobart Town in 1810.He was also an explorer, artist and naturalist who described many of the plants and marsupials native to the Island, including the Tasmanian Devil and the Thylacine.