This plaque commemorates David Lewis pioneering retail merchant and public benefactor. In 1856 he founded the first of the Lewis's department stores here and with his principled genius for marketing brought affordable quality goods to the masses.
David Lewis (1823 – 4 December 1885), was an English merchant and philanthropist of Jewish origin. He was born in London. Settling in Liverpool in 1840, he had by 1856 accumulated enough capital to start his own business as a boys' clothier in Bold street. Subsequently he opened a second establishment; and thereafter he gradually developed one of the largest retail businesses of the kind in England, erecting an establishment of the "Universal Provider" or department store class (Lewis's). Similar stores were founded by him in Manchester, Sheffield, and Birmingham.