Dugald Drummond and St. Rollox Railway Works blue plaque in Glasgow

Sorry, we don't have a photo of this plaque yet.

St. Rollox Railway Works founded in 1854 by the Caledonian Railway to build and repair railway locomotives, carriages and wagons, greatly extended in the 1880s by Dugald Drummond

Dugald Drummond (1 January 1840 – 8 November 1912) was a Scottish steam locomotive engineer. He had a career with the North British Railway, LB&SCR, Caledonian Railway and London and South Western Railway. He was the brother of the engineer Peter Drummond.He was a major locomotive designer and builder and many of his London and South Western Railway engines continued in main line service with the Southern Railway to enter British Railways service in 1947.

Source: dbpedia

St. Rollox Locomotive Works and St Rollox Carriage and Wagon Works were railway rolling stock works established in the 1850s in Glasgow for the Caledonian Railway.Ownership of the works passed to the LMS and then to British Rail; activities were reduced in the 1980s under BREL management. After the privatisation of British Rail the works was acquired by Alstom, and in 2007 by Railcare. As of 2007 the site now operates as a rail maintenance depot.

Source: dbpedia

Local area map loading...
All plaques in Glasgow

Tell us what you know about Dugald Drummond and St. Rollox Railway Works blue plaque in Glasgow

BluePlaquePlaces.co.uk is a Good Stuff website.