Edgar Wood green plaque in Middleton

Edgar Wood Architect (1860 - 1935)
Temple Street Baptist Church
1889
Plaque Erected in its Centenary Year 1989

Edgar Wood (1860–1935) was an architect, artist and draftsman who practised from Manchester at the turn of the 20th century and gained a considerable reputation in the United Kingdom. He was regarded as a proponent of the Arts and Crafts movement which was prevalent between 1860 and 1910.Wood's work is principally domestic, but he designed several churches and small commercial buildings. He worked as an individual designer, mostly with only one assistant, and confined himself to the smaller type of building that he could control personally. Although he was active in Manchester for over twenty years, most of his work is in nearby towns, such as Rochdale, Oldham and Middleton (of which he was native), and in outlying districts such as Bramhall and Hale.He contributed to Manchester in various ways. He was a founder of the Northern Art Workers' Guild in 1896, one of the major provincial societies within the Arts and Crafts Movement and was president of the Manchester Society of Architects from 1911–12. Wood retired in 1921 and twenty of his architectural works are listed.

Source: dbpedia

Local area map loading...
All plaques in Middleton

Tell us what you know about Edgar Wood green plaque in Middleton

BluePlaquePlaces.co.uk is a Good Stuff website.