This is the entrance to the former Blackfriars Station. Commenced by the Charing Cross Railway Co. on its line from London Bridge to Charing Cross, it was taken over by the South Eastern Railway Co. before opening in January 1864. Closure came five years later when the South Eastern Railway opened its Waterloo Station (now Waterloo East).
The glazed brick bridge abutments show evidence of bomb damage from the Blitz of 1940 and a V2 rocket in December 1944. Buildings in the surrounding area were damaged beyond repair, including The Ring boxing arena, formerly the Surrey Chapel, on the site of 197 Blackfriars Road.