Francis Webster and George Fox green plaque in Kendal

Friends Meeting House.
George Fox, founder of the Society of Friends (Quakers), visited Kendal in 1652 and by his powerful preaching won many followers. They opened their first meeting house on this site in 1688 and a Quaker school in 1698. The present building, designed by Kendal architect, Francis Webster, was erected in 1816 to accommodate 850 people.
Kendal Quakers were prominent in business, education and welfare in the town from the 18th century.

George Fox (July 1624 – 13 January 1691) was an English Dissenter and a founder of the Religious Society of Friends, commonly known as the Quakers or Friends.The son of a Leicestershire weaver, Fox lived in a time of great social upheaval and war. He rebelled against the religious and political authorities by proposing an unusual and uncompromising approach to the Christian faith. He travelled throughout Britain as a dissenting preacher, for which he was often persecuted by the authorities who disapproved of his beliefs.Fox married Margaret Fell, the widow of one of his wealthier supporters; she was a leading Friend. His ministry expanded and he undertook tours of North America and the Low Countries, between which he was imprisoned for over a year. He spent the final decade of his life working in London to organize the expanding Quaker movement.Though his movement attracted disdain from some, others such as William Penn and Oliver Cromwell viewed Fox with respect. His journal, first published after his death, is known even among non-Quakers for its vivid account of his personal journey.

Source: dbpedia

Local area map loading...
All plaques in Kendal

Tell us what you know about Francis Webster and George Fox green plaque in Kendal

BluePlaquePlaces.co.uk is a Good Stuff website.