GAS METER HOUSE FACADE.
Designed by Francis Webster, this façade was erected in 1825 on the gas meter house of the Kendal Gas-Light and Coke Company in Parkside Road. It was preserved when the gasworks was demolished in 1969 and its re-erection here in 1984 was sponsored by North West Gas. The text on the pediment, "Ex fumo dare lucem" (from smoke let light break out), comes from Horace's 'Ars Poetica' (The Art of Poetry). Here applied to gaslight, it referred originally to poetic inspiration.