Miller Bridge. The original wooden bridge connecting the town and the castle corn mill was repeatedly carried away by floods until 1743, when it was rebuilt entirely in stone.
The present bridge was designed by the architect Francis Webster for the new canal which terminated in Kendal, where the canal head basin included covered wharves, warehouses, stables and workers' cottages. He also designed the bridge over Castle Mill head-race, the house seen opposite (originally the offices and showrooms of a marble-polishing mill) and the iron railings on this side.
The foundation stone was laid in May 1818; the bridge was opened in November 1818; and the canal was operating by June 1819.