Frank Matcham blue plaque in Leeds

Victoria Quarter

was begun in 1900 with the opening of Frank Matcham's splendid Country and Cross Arcades. Enhanced in 1990 by covering Queen Victoria Street, the site was formerly medieval yards, Georgian shambles and slaughterhouses.

Frank Matcham (22 November 1854 – 18 May 1920) was an English theatrical architect and designer. He was known for his designs of many London theatres including the Hackney Empire (1901); the London Coliseum (1904); the London Palladium (1910) and the Victoria Palace (1911).Born in Newton Abbot, Devon, Matcham was apprenticed to the architect, George Sondon Bridgeman, before moving to London where he joined the architectural practice of Jethro Robinson, who was at that time consulting theatre architect to the Lord Chamberlain's office. He completed his first solo design of the Elephant and Castle theatre which opened in June 1879. Between 1890 and 1915, Matcham helped train, Bertie Crewe and W.G.R. Sprague, and all three were responsible for the design and construction of over 200 theatres and variety palaces in the United Kingdom.

Source: dbpedia

Local area map loading...
All plaques in Leeds

Tell us what you know about Frank Matcham blue plaque in Leeds

BluePlaquePlaces.co.uk is a Good Stuff website.