Frederick John Horniman and The Horniman Museum blue plaque in London

The Horniman Museum and Gardens were given to the people of London in 1901 by Frederick John Horniman, who lived near this site.

The Horniman Museum is a museum in Forest Hill, London. Commissioned in 1898, it opened in 1901 and was designed by Charles Harrison Townsend in the Arts and Crafts style.It is a non-departmental public body of the Department for Culture, Media and Sport and is constituted as a company and registered charity under English law.

Source: dbpedia

Frederick John Horniman (8 October 1835 – 5 March 1906) was an English tea trader and founder of the Horniman Museum in London. Frederick, born in Bridgwater, Somerset, was the son of John Horniman, who established Horniman's Tea, a tea business using mechanical packaging. By 1891, it was said to be the biggest tea company in the world.He founded the Horniman Museum in Forest Hill, south London. In 1901, he gave the museum to London County Council for use by the people of London.He was a member of the London County Council, and Liberal Member of Parliament for Penryn and Falmouth in Cornwall from 1895 until 1906.In 1859 he married Rebekah Emslie (1825–1895). Their son Emslie John Horniman (1863 – 1932) was Liberal MP for Chelsea (1906–10). He continued to develop the museum, and was a noted art collector and patron in his own right, who rebuilt his homes at Burford Priory in Oxfordshire (under Walter Godfrey) and at Garden Corner, Chelsea (under C.F.A. Voysey).Their daughter, Annie Horniman (1860–1937), worked in theatre, being a founder of the Abbey Theatre, Dublin.In 1897 he married Minnie Louisa Bennett; they later had two daughters.

Source: dbpedia

Local area map loading...
All plaques in Lewisham

Tell us what you know about Frederick John Horniman and The Horniman Museum blue plaque in London

BluePlaquePlaces.co.uk is a Good Stuff website.