George Cadbury, Richard Cadbury, and No. 1 Lodge brushed metal plaque in Birmingham

No 1 Lodge
This building is known as No. 1 Lodge and is one of a number of entrances into the factory. It was built in 1889 as part of a suite of offices for directors of the then newly formed Cadbury Brothers Limited Company. Prior to this date the business had been run as a partnership between brothers George and Richard Cadbury and their original offices are situated just behind No. 1 Lodge which were built in 1880.

The original factory entrance was opposite the railway station (to the right) and called Station Lodge. When railway lines were installed in the factory in 1884 an additional entrance was built, just slightly to the left of this plaque, close to the pavement. This was called the Girl's Lodge and later No. 1 Lodge. It was demolished as part of the construction of the tall building to the left, known as Linden Block which was completed in 1966. The directors were relocated to this new building and the new factory entrance was created through their old offices and this is now called No. 1 Lodge.

The whole Bournville site has become known as 'The Factory in a Garden'. The ancient pear tree which grew against Mrs Duffield's Cottage, that once stood near No. 1 Lodge, still remains.
No 1 Lodge
This building is known as No. 1 Lodge and is one of a number of entrances into the factory. It was built in 1889 as part of a suite of offices for directors of the then newly formed Cadbury Brothers Limited Company. Prior to this date the business had been run as a partnership between brothers George and Richard Cadbury and their original offices are situated just behind No. 1 Lodge which were built in 1880.

The original factory entrance was opposite the railway station (to the right) and called Station Lodge. When railway lines were installed in the factory in 1884 an additional entrance was built, just slightly to the left of this plaque, close to the pavement. This was called the Girl's Lodge and later No. 1 Lodge. It was demolished as part of the construction of the tall building to the left, known as Linden Block which was completed in 1966. The directors were relocated to this new building and the new factory entrance was created through their old offices and this is now called No. 1 Lodge.

The whole Bournville site has become known as 'The Factory in a Garden'. The ancient pear tree which grew against Mrs Duffield's Cottage, that once stood near No. 1 Lodge, still remains.

Richard Barrow Cadbury (29 August 1835 – 22 March 1899) was the second son of the Quaker John Cadbury, founder of Cadbury's cocoa and chocolate company.Together with his younger brother George he took over the family business in 1861 and in 1878 they acquired 14 acres (57,000 m²) of land in open country, four miles (6 km) south of Birmingham where they opened a new factory in 1879. Over the following years, more land was acquired and a model village was built for his workers which became known as Bournville.

Source: dbpedia

George Cadbury (19 September 1839 – 24 October 1922) was the third son of John Cadbury, a Quaker who founded Cadbury's cocoa and chocolate company.

Source: dbpedia

Local area map loading...
All plaques in Birmingham

Tell us what you know about George Cadbury, Richard Cadbury, and No. 1 Lodge brushed metal plaque in Birmingham

BluePlaquePlaces.co.uk is a Good Stuff website.