The KENDAL LANCASTER CANAL.
This canal, completed in 1819, brought coal into Kendal from Lancashire and carried out limestone and manufactured goods. By providing cheap coal to replace water power with steam power it enabled Kendal's manufacturing industry to expand, the Kendal yards then developing as workshops and workers' housing.
The canal terminated at Canal Head with warehouses, wharves and stables, the whole complex being designed by the Kendal architect George Webster.
This plaque is mounted on the former canal ticket office.
The opening of the Kendal railway in 1847 led to a decline in canal traffic and in 1856 the warehouses became an engineering works. The canal was filled in in 1947.
George Webster (3 May 1797 – 16 April 1864) was an English architect who practised in Kendal, which was at the time in Westmorland, and later in Cumbria. All of his works were executed near his practice, and were located in Cumbria, in north Lancashire, and in the adjacent parts of Yorkshire. Most of his work was carried out on domestic buildings, but he also designed churches, and public and commercial buildings.