THE NATIONAL SCHOOL.
The School was designed by George Webster and was built and run by public subscription. It opened to boys in 1819 for their "education in Religious Knowledge and useful learning". It was the first public day school in Kendal, incorporated with the National Society for promoting "the education of the poor in the principles of the Established Church".
Matthew Pyper of Whitehaven endowed the school with £2000. He died in 1821 and, at his wish, was interred in a vault near the centre of the school building.
A Girl's School opened in 1824 for instruction in reading, writing and the common rules of arithmetic, singing, knitting and sewing. An Infant's School was opened in 1874.
The Schools evolved, merged and eventually became the Central School. From 1874 the buildings were used as an annexe to Vicarage Park School. In 1985 they were closed and a housing complex was built on the site. An original memorial plaque still exists there.
George Webster (3 May 1797 – 16 April 1864) was an English architect who practised in Kendal, which was at the time in Westmorland, and later in Cumbria. All of his works were executed near his practice, and were located in Cumbria, in north Lancashire, and in the adjacent parts of Yorkshire. Most of his work was carried out on domestic buildings, but he also designed churches, and public and commercial buildings.