THE BANK OF WESTMORLAND.
Founded on wealth generated by Kendal's textile trade the bank opened in 1833 and moved to this site in 1835. Designed by Kendal's leading architect, George Webster, the masonry was to be of Kendal Fell limestone, "finished in the finest manner possible". The bank occupied the ground floor, the manager and his family living above. The lion and its pedestal, constructed in London in artificial stone, were completed in 1840.
After sixty years the Bank of Westmorland was absorbed by the London and Midland Bank, then in 1992 by HSBC. It is the oldest purpose-built branch in the HSBC network in England and Wales.
George Webster (3 May 1797 – 16 April 1864) was an English architect who practised in Kendal, which was at the time in Westmorland, and later in Cumbria. All of his works were executed near his practice, and were located in Cumbria, in north Lancashire, and in the adjacent parts of Yorkshire. Most of his work was carried out on domestic buildings, but he also designed churches, and public and commercial buildings.