George Webster green plaque in Kendal

Oddfellows Hall. This hall has a long and varied history. The Unicorn Inn originally stood on the site. It was replaced in 1833 by Kendal architect George Webster for the local lodge of the Oddfellows, a Friendly Society for working men, which provided social and educational activities, including the occasional public play. For a time the ground floor was let off as a beer-house, the Nelson Tavern. The Mechanic's Institute took over the hall in 1857. For a short time in 1890-1 it became The People's Palace to provide wholesome entertainment and instruction for the labouring classes. During both World Wards and later, the hall was used by local clubs. Before conversion to housing it had been the Kingdom Hall of the Jahovah's Witnesses.

George Webster (3 May 1797 – 16 April 1864) was an English architect who practised in Kendal, which was at the time in Westmorland, and later in Cumbria. All of his works were executed near his practice, and were located in Cumbria, in north Lancashire, and in the adjacent parts of Yorkshire. Most of his work was carried out on domestic buildings, but he also designed churches, and public and commercial buildings.

Source: dbpedia

Local area map loading...
All plaques in Kendal

Tell us what you know about George Webster green plaque in Kendal

BluePlaquePlaces.co.uk is a Good Stuff website.