Milnthorpe Parish Church.
St Thomas Church was built in 1837 as a Chapel of Ease to St Peter's Heversham to which Church Street leads. It was designed by George Webster to hold '600 hearers' and named as a tribute to Mrs Thomasin Richardson who gave £1000 towards the building costs of £2,200. The first Vicar Nicholas Padwick stopped the Sunday Hiring of farm labourers as their drunken revelry on The Green disturbed the congregation. The Chancel and north porch were added in 1883 and the Church Centre with an upper hall replaced the gallery area in 1982. Milnthorpe became a separate ecclesiastical Parish in 1924 but was reunited with Heversham in 1993.
George Webster (3 May 1797 – 16 April 1864) was an English architect who practised in Kendal, which was at the time in Westmorland, and later in Cumbria. All of his works were executed near his practice, and were located in Cumbria, in north Lancashire, and in the adjacent parts of Yorkshire. Most of his work was carried out on domestic buildings, but he also designed churches, and public and commercial buildings.