Glenside and Dental Hygienist Training School blue plaque in Sidmouth
Glenside Built as a thatched villa in 1905 the house was gutted by fire 2 years later and reconstructed. Requisitioned by the government in World War 2 the Royal Air Force established the first Dental Hygienist Training School in the U.K. on 7 May 1943, aimed at improving oral hygiene of serving airmen and personnel. Thereafter dental hygienists were accepted into the dental profession and now train in hospitals nationwide. In co-operation with the R.A.F. Institute of Dental Health and Training this plaque was affixed to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the School's foundation.