Grange-over-sands Bandstand and Harold Porritt black plaque in Grange-over-Sands
Bandstand in the Park. The bandstand was a gift to the people of Grange from Harold Porritt JP, the director of a textile factory in Helmshore, Lancashire, who came to the town in 1895. Originally sited on the promenade, this structure was eventually moved here because ladies made a protest to the council a delicate matter of soot from the steam trains ruining their clothes whilst they listened to band music. Mr Porritt also established the "Tea Rooms" on the promenade.