The Haw Hill Mound-Castle was made by William de Merlay, 1st Baron of Morpeth, in c.1080, using a natural mount, steepening its sides and cutting it off from the westerly spur. A timber stockade encircled the mound-top and enclosed a timer tower-house, while a small gate-tower defended the access by a footbridge over the cut in the western spur, in all probability. The attendant bailey (courtyard with domestic buildings) could have been attached at the riverside, or, detached, on nearby Castle Hill. This first castle was burnt by William Rufus in 1095, and by King John in 1216, after which the stone castle across the Postern Burn ravine was built.
Plaque Colour: Green
Local area map loading...
Location: Carlisle Park
Unitary Authority: Northumberland County Council
Unitary Authority Electoral Division (UTE): Morpeth North