Green plaque № 11414 in Kendal
This former inn took its name from the packs of wool, each containing about 60 fleeces, brought into Kendal on packhorses for making cloth.
In the late 18th century new turnpike roads allowed the town to develop as a coaching centre and in 1781 the Woolpack was rebuilt with a new front and sash windows.
The archway over the yard entrance was built high enough to allow stage coaches and broad-wheeled eight-horse wagons, which replaced packhorses, to pass beneath. The inn closed in 1977.
Local area map loading...
All plaques in Kendal
- Location: Stricklandgate
- Parish: Kendal
- District Council: South Lakeland District Council
- District Council Ward: Kendal Fell
- County Council: Cumbria County Council
- County Council Electoral Division: Kendal Strickland and Fell
- UK Parliament Constituency: Westmorland and Lonsdale
- Region: North West
Tell us what you know about Green plaque № 11414 in Kendal