Milnthorpe Methodist Church.
Nonconformists have worshipped in Milnthorpe since the seventeenth century. Around 1809, Stephen Brunskill, a Wesleyan Methodist local preacher, held services in his home. When he left the village, house meetings continued elsewhere until the early 1850s. For a while the Primitive Methodists held services. About 1870 the Wesleyans, who had recommenced services in what became Rigney Bank House, began using the Independent Chapel, Haverflatts Lane, now 'The Pillars'. The present building was opened on 27th September 1904. Built in the former garden of the White Lion Inn at a cost of £1075, it was designed in the 'Queen Anne' style by JF Curwen. Its eight foundation stones were laid on 3rd September 1903.
Plaque Colour: Green
Local area map loading...
Location: Beetham Road
District Council: South Lakeland District Council
District Council Ward: Milnthorpe
County Council: Cumbria County Council
County Council Electoral Division: Kent Estuary
UK Parliament Constituency: Westmorland and Lonsdale