The towpath from Lancaster ended beyond this bridge at a wharf and continued north to the canal basin on the opposite side of the canal. The barge horses would be led up the ramp from the towpath, across the bridge and down the ramp on the other side with the towrope still attached to the barge. The bridge is the only one of its type in Cumbria.
Built in 1819, the bridge was restored jointly by Kendal Civic Society and South Lakeland District Council with the aid of a grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund. It was opened in 2002 in celebration of the Queen's Jubilee.
Plaque Colour: Green
Local area map loading...
Location: Lancaster Canal
District Council: South Lakeland District Council
District Council Ward: Kendal Heron Hill
County Council: Cumbria County Council
County Council Electoral Division: Kendal Castle
UK Parliament Constituency: Westmorland and Lonsdale