THE OLD BRIDGE.
This bridge over the River Bela was built in 1763 at a cost of £90. The contractors were Robert Robinson, a free mason, and Robert Bindloss, a waller. It replaced a bridge 20 yards upstream near the steps built in 1542 from a bequest of Edmund Pearson, a tanner, for 'the supportation and making of a bridge at the end of Milnthorpe'. Until 1813 the road to Arnside crossed the bridge and took the line of the public footpath across the Park to Dallam Tower and then over the hill to Sandside. Horse troughs were formerly on the west side of the bridge.
Plaque Colour: Green
Local area map loading...
Location: Park Road
District Council: South Lakeland District Council
District Council Ward: Milnthorpe
County Council: Cumbria County Council
County Council Electoral Division: Kent Estuary
UK Parliament Constituency: Westmorland and Lonsdale