THE CROSS ROADS MILNTHORPE.
The Cross Roads were created in 1922-1924 when the east side of Church Street and the west end of Main Street were cleared away to straighten the A6 road. The seventeenth century Royal Oak Inn on the corner of Main Street and Beetham Road was also demolished along with a shelter known as 'the penters' (penthouse), formerly a popular place for Milnthorpe's 'standers' and for labourers seeking employment during the Spring ad Autumn Hiring Fairs. The Bull's Head Inn was built on the site of the Royal Oak's garden. The traffic lights, the first in the old county of Westmorland, were installed in 1937.
Plaque Colour: Green
Local area map loading...
Location: 1 Main Street
District Council: South Lakeland District Council
District Council Ward: Milnthorpe
County Council: Cumbria County Council
County Council Electoral Division: Kent Estuary
UK Parliament Constituency: Westmorland and Lonsdale