The Fountain is a natural spring seen below the grating. It supplied Milnthorpe's water until 1906 when piped water was laid on. To draw the water a 'pump-stick' had to be thrust up the fountain head to dam a flow strong enough to fill a bucket. The protecting stones were placed here in 1880 after Miss Rawlinson fell in the fountain when returning from Evensong. In 1941 the fountain was concreted over after a circus elephant slipped and hurt herself. The Fountain was restored in 2000 as part of the Millennium Improvement scheme for The Square.
Plaque Colour: Green
Local area map loading...
Location: The Square
District Council: South Lakeland District Council
District Council Ward: Milnthorpe
County Council: Cumbria County Council
County Council Electoral Division: Kent Estuary
UK Parliament Constituency: Westmorland and Lonsdale