The lane leads to Lower and High Haverflatts Lane a mile away. Its name derives from the Norse Viking word 'haver' for bread or oats and 'flatts' meaning farmland. The Coach and Horses dates from the eighteenth century when Milnthorpe had eleven inns. The shop on the corner once called Thorpe Cottage possessed a deep well until it became the premises of Rushtons' Chemist s in 1852. The site of the present chemist's shop, built in 1992, was occupied formerly by a mill and then from c1930 by the transport firm of RO Hodgson. In 1966 the bank replaced a building dated 1707 which was named Fleet House by a ninteenth century owner, Lewis Elburn, who had been born in Fleet Street, London.
Plaque Colour: Green
Local area map loading...
Location: 1 Haverflatts Lane
District Council: South Lakeland District Council
District Council Ward: Milnthorpe
County Council: Cumbria County Council
County Council Electoral Division: Kent Estuary
UK Parliament Constituency: Westmorland and Lonsdale