THE RED BARN MILNTHORPE.
Traditionally this building, dating from c1750, was a 'bonded warehouse', associated with the Port of Milnthorpe. Being situated on the route connecting the port's activities on the Kent Estuary to the old main road which ran through Crooklands, it was close to Carr's Yard, the home of a family of carriers, and to Harmony Hall built by Joseph Fayrer, a sea captain and slave trader. In 1840 the barn was occupied by George Whittaker who made a fortune importing guano from South America for use as fertilizer. At this period 'its woodwork was always painted red', hence the name.
Plaque Colour: Green
Local area map loading...
Location: Main Street
District Council: South Lakeland District Council
District Council Ward: Milnthorpe
County Council: Cumbria County Council
County Council Electoral Division: Kent Estuary
UK Parliament Constituency: Westmorland and Lonsdale