THE MEMORIAL HALL MILNTHORPE. The front part was built as the Market House in 1843. It had an open arched trading area on the ground floor and The Agricultural Hall for meetings upstairs. In 1880 The Milnthorpe Public Rooms Company erected a large assembly hall behind the premises at a cost of £1200, financed by the sale of £5 shares. It had a 'sprung dance floor' and also accommodated Milnthorpe Cinema from the 1920s to the 1960s. The Royal British Legion Club was based here 1975-1992. In 1945 the buildings were bought by public subscription as a village war memorial and rental income is distributed by the Memorial Hall Management Committee to village causes. Until 1924 the 'old' Bull's Head was attached to the west side of the hall. The bell on the gable end was installed in 1940 for use as an air raid warning in case the electric siren failed.
Plaque Colour: Green
Local area map loading...
Location: Beetham Road
District Council: South Lakeland District Council
District Council Ward: Milnthorpe
County Council: Cumbria County Council
County Council Electoral Division: Kent Estuary
UK Parliament Constituency: Westmorland and Lonsdale