THE CLOUGH. This is the name given to the former millpond created by damming the River Bela at this point. Close to the surviving stump of the dam a millrace ran alongside the Playing Fields to serve Low Mills. Around 1800, between the Old Bridge and the present Comb Mill, there were two forges, two paper works and spinning mills for wool, cotton, flax and hemp needed by Milnthorpe's hand loom weavers and rope makers. By 1870 all had been put out of work by competition from steam powered industry based on the Lancashirfe coalfields.
Plaque Colour: Green
Local area map loading...
Location: The Strands
District Council: South Lakeland District Council
District Council Ward: Milnthorpe
County Council: Cumbria County Council
County Council Electoral Division: Kent Estuary
UK Parliament Constituency: Westmorland and Lonsdale