THE COMB MILL. Also called Milnthorpe Mill or the Bela Mill, lies 100 yards upstream from here. Milnthorpe's name, dating from c900AD, derives from the old English word 'Mylen' or the later Norse 'Mylna' and refers to a water mill near this site on the swiftest flowing reaches of the River Bela. The mill was given in 1094 to St Mary's Abbey at York by Ivo de Taillebois. In 1460 William Booth, Archbishop of York, granted it to Heversham Church. Originally used for grinding corn, the mill later spun flax, hemp, wool and cotton. Here in 1866 John Dobson began the manufacture of combs from animal horns using a water wheel 14 feet in diameter which still exists.
Plaque Colour: Green
Local area map loading...
Location: The Strands
District Council: South Lakeland District Council
District Council Ward: Milnthorpe
County Council: Cumbria County Council
County Council Electoral Division: Kent Estuary
UK Parliament Constituency: Westmorland and Lonsdale