This pub was originally called The City Tavern. A series of events since 1850 ensued (sic) the popularity of this pub. This is the story. In 1851 an Act of Parliament allowed meat, fish and poultry to be traded in the market place so that the area became the focal point of the city. In 1853 the Council Committee of Durham declared the water in the market place unfit for human consumption so that customers could only quench their thirst from the excellent ales served in this public house. In 1865 The City Tavern was re-named The Market Hotel and it grew even more popular in 1871 when The Durham Miners Association was formed here. The Market Hotel became so successful that by 1940 it was the only remaining pub in the market place. Today The Market Tavern is maintaining it's (sic) tradition as a very popular place to sample the finest selection of the nation's ales.
Plaque Colour: Green
Local area map loading...
Location: 27 Market Place
Unitary Authority: Durham County Council
Unitary Authority Electoral Division (UTE): Elvet and Gilesgate