This site was excavated in 1954 A.D. The foundation stones have been restored upon the exact plan of the chapel built about 1000 A.D. The wooden cross is a replica of the cross lying five feet below with indications of a wooden building of much earlier date. THe position of the cross indicates that it was regarded with great sanctity and may be the preaching cross of St Bertelin the founder of the town of Stafford Circa 700 A.D.
Plaque Colour: Green
Local area map loading...
Location: Collegiate Church of Saint Marymore, St Marys Place
District Council: Stafford Borough Council
District Council Ward: Forebridge
County Council: Staffordshire County Council
County Council Electoral Division: Stafford Central