Dr Manning's Yard. formerly Braithewaite Yard. In this house George Braithwaite, dyer, established a drysalter's business in 1713 supplying dyestuffs, alum, fuller's earth and other technical materials to the local textile trade. Down the yard were workers' cottages, the counting house or office over the archway, a ropewalk, a weaving shed and a dyehouse. The family were noted Quakers and philanthropists and set up a soup kitchen in the 'Hungry Forties' and a School of Industry for poor children. Dr Manning practised here for many years in the early 1900's.
Plaque Colour: Green
Local area map loading...
Location: Dr Manning's Yard, Highgate
District Council: South Lakeland District Council
District Council Ward: Kendal Highgate
County Council: Cumbria County Council
County Council Electoral Division: Kendal Highgate
UK Parliament Constituency: Westmorland and Lonsdale