Elephant Yard. This land was once the property of the cloth merchant Thomas Sandes who also owned Grandy Nook on Low Fellside and built the Sandes Almshouses in Highgate. After his death in 1681 his house on Stricklandgate became the Elephant Inn. It was rebuilt c1820 with a dining room seating 100 and with stabling for 25 horses. In the 1800's around 60 peoples lived in the yard behind the inn, which closed in 1909.
Plaque Colour: Green
Local area map loading...
Location: Elephant Yard, Highgate
District Council: South Lakeland District Council
District Council Ward: Kendal Fell
County Council: Cumbria County Council
County Council Electoral Division: Kendal Strickland and Fell
UK Parliament Constituency: Westmorland and Lonsdale