The Market Cross. The main pillar dates from c1660 and the rest of the structure from c1800. between 1845 and 1865 the village 'Lock-up' was placed under the cross. The metal in the pillar once held the pinions for the criminals' whipping post. Shackles for the village stocks were fixed to the steps until c1960. From the Cross, market rules, news, laws and annual fairs were proclaimed. Some of the first Quakers preached here. The Cross is the traditional placed for the Proclamation of the Accession of new Sovereigns.
Plaque Colour: Green
Local area map loading...
Location: The Market Square
District Council: South Lakeland District Council
District Council Ward: Milnthorpe
County Council: Cumbria County Council
County Council Electoral Division: Kent Estuary
UK Parliament Constituency: Westmorland and Lonsdale