St Sampson's Church. The Church is first mentioned in 1154. Its Tower was damaged by cannon balls in 1644 and the Church was largely rebuilt in 1848. The adjacent door is fifteenth century. The redundant Church was taken over by the York Civic Trust in 1974. It was restored and converted into an Old People's Centre by means of a Grant from The Hayward Foundation and was furnished and equipped by the Round Tables of York.