Bingley Market Hall & Butter Cross. In 1212 King John granted Bingley's first market charter; the butter cross with its five steep circular steps may date from then. In 1693 William & Mary granted a second market charter and the original market hall was built. In 1753 two further bays and the archway with its dated keystone were added. The roof of the butter cross dates from then. Until 1888 the market hall and butter cross stood in Main Street. To facilitate a road widening scheme they were moved to Prince of Wales Park. John Brown was paid £16 6s. 0d. to reconstruct them there. In 1984 Bingley Civic Trust prepared plans and raised funds to return the monuments to the centre of Bingley. The trust gratefully acknowledges the help received from B.B.B. Soc., the Sam Chippindale foundation and many private individuals. On 22.9.1984 Bingley Civic Trust handed the restored buildings back to Bradford Council.