Arnside Pier. Following an act of Parliament, the Pier was constructed by the Ulverston and Lancaster Railway Co., replacing an earlier wooden structure. It was built to provide a wharf for sea-borne traffic after the construction of the viaduct across the estuary had prevented ships from reaching the town of Milnthorpe. The end section of the pier was destroyed by storm in 1934 and rebuilt by the London, Midland and Scottish Railway Co. The pier was bought by Arnside Parish Council for £100 in 1964. A storm on the night of 31st January 1983 completely destroyed the causeway. The pier was rebuilt by public subscription and was officially re-opened on 12th April 1984.
Plaque Colour: Grey
Local area map loading...
Location: The Promenade
District Council: South Lakeland District Council
District Council Ward: Arnside and Beetham
County Council: Cumbria County Council
County Council Electoral Division: Kent Estuary
UK Parliament Constituency: Westmorland and Lonsdale