Tower Gardens. Originally part of "The Long Walk" extending downstream to the confluence of the Rivers Ouse and Foss at Blue Bridge. A gateway was broken through the city wall and a handsome iron palisade gate was set in a stone arch (now removed) with an inscription stating that it was erected during the Mayoralty of Jonas Thompson (1731 to 1732). This gate was located where South Esplanade now enters the gardens. As the first public gardens in the city, the current arrangement was laid out in 1880-81, during the construction of Skeldergate Bridge, and the walk passed under the bridge through the short tunnel to St. George's field.