Henry Bell green plaque in King's Lynn

(opposite this plaque is the)
Custom House

Built as a Merchant's Exchange in 1683 by Henry Bell for Sir John Turner. Altered in 1718 and 1744. From 1693 to 1989 this was the Port Office for HM Customs, and it is "one of the finest late 17C public buildings in provincial England" (N Pevsner)

Henry Bell (1647–1711) was an English architect, a contemporary of Christopher Wren.Bell was born in King’s Lynn, Norfolk. He was the son of a wealthy merchant family. He designed many buildings in West Norfolk including the Custom House in King's Lynn and All Saints Church in North Runcton.He served twice as Mayor of King's Lynn, he was well educated and travelled through Europe. In 1676 he met Robert Hooke, who shared with him his experiences of rebuilding London following the Great Fire. This knowledge had a bearing on his future work, as the design of North Runcton Church shows similarities with those employed by Wren, for example St Mary-at-Hill.He died in 1711, two years before All Saints Church was completed.

Source: dbpedia

Local area map loading...
All plaques in King's Lynn

Tell us what you know about Henry Bell green plaque in King's Lynn

BluePlaquePlaces.co.uk is a Good Stuff website.