Henry IV of England blue plaque in Knaresborough

In 1408 the Chapel of Our Lady of the Crag was excavated by John the Mason traditionally in thanksgiving for his young son being miraculously saved from falling rock. Permission for the shrine was granted by King Henry IV.

Henry IV (15 April 1367 – 20 March 1413) was King of England and Lord of Ireland (1399–1413). He was the tenth King of England of the House of Plantagenet and also asserted his grandfather's claim to the title King of France. He was born at Bolingbroke Castle in Lincolnshire, hence his other name, Henry (of) Bolingbroke /ˈbɒlɪŋbrʊk/. His father, John of Gaunt, was the third son of Edward III, and enjoyed a position of considerable influence during much of the reign of Henry's cousin Richard II, whom Henry eventually deposed. Henry's mother was Blanche, heiress to the considerable Lancaster estates, and thus he became the first King of England from the Lancaster branch of the Plantagenets.

Source: dbpedia

Local area map loading...
All plaques in Knaresborough

Tell us what you know about Henry IV of England blue plaque in Knaresborough

BluePlaquePlaces.co.uk is a Good Stuff website.