Hercules Linton, designer of the famous clipper, Cutty Sark, was born in Inverbervie in 1837.
The Cutty Sark was built in Dumbarton in 1869 and is now beautifully preserved at Greenwich.
The memorial, dedicated by the people of Inverbervie on 11 July 1997, replaces a memorial unveiled by Sir Francis Chichester in 1969. It is a full scale replica of the ships figurehead and was carved from Hercules Linton's original drawings.
The figurehead depicts the comely young witchin Burns' poem Tam o' Shanter grasping the tail of Tam's grey mare.
Linton died in the house where he was born and is buried in Inverbervie Kirkyard.
Hercules Linton (1 January 1837 - 15 May 1900) was a Scottish surveyor, designer, shipbuilder, antiquarian and local councillor, best known as the designer of the Cutty Sark and partner in the yard of Scott and Linton which built her.He was born in Inverbervie, Aberdeenshire, Scotland. On his nineteenth birthday in 1855 Hercules Linton was apprenticed to Alexander Hall and Sons who at the time, were the leading shipbuilders in Aberdeen and whose schooner Scottish Maid (1839) with its sharp bow and entry helped coin the term Aberdeen Bow. Linton progressed through his apprenticeship and eventually rose to a senior position at Alexander Hall and Sons.Eventually he left Alexander Hall and Sons to become a Lloyd's Register Surveyor based at the Lloyds offices in Liverpool and subsequently moved to the Liverpool Underwriters Registry where from early in 1862 he was assisting John Jordan who was the Chief Surveyor. It is thought that he left the Liverpool Underwriters Association in May 1864 but still associated on a free-lance basis.