James Henry Cook black plaque in Birmingham

1898-1998
This plaque was presented by the
Institute of Health Food Retailing
on the
11th February 1998
To commemorate the centenary
of the opening of the first
Health Food Store
in the
United Kingdom
and to honour it's originator
James Henry Cook

The Pitman Vegetarian Hotel was a vegetarian hotel that opened in 1898 in the County Buildings (now Grade II* listed), Corporation Street, Birmingham, England, as an expansion of a vegetarian restaurant on the same site. The manager was James Henry Cook. According to his daughter, Kathleen Keleny, it was named after Sir Isaac Pitman, then vice-president of the Vegetarian Society. It was still operating in the 1930s. The same proprietor ran the Pitman Health Food Co. (also called Pitman Reform Food Stores) at Aston Brook Street, Birmingham, advertising in 1909 as "The Largest Health Food Dealers in the World". Selling direct and by mail order, it manufactured meat-free products including Pitman Sea-Side Paste, Pitman Savoury Nut Meat, Nuto Cream, Brazose Meat, Vigar Extract, Vegsal Soups and Fruitarian Cakes and wafers. It also sold cooking utensils such as the Pitman Steam Cooker, a multilevel boiler and steamer.Mahatma Gandhi is known to have received jars of Nuto Cream and Nuto Cream Soup from the company.

Source: dbpedia

Local area map loading...
All plaques in Birmingham

Tell us what you know about James Henry Cook black plaque in Birmingham

BluePlaquePlaces.co.uk is a Good Stuff website.