James Scott black plaque in Frome

Sorry, we don't have a photo of this plaque yet.

This house, built c.1600, sheltered James Scott, Duke of Monmouth, from 28th-30th June, 1685, when Frome people 'called him King as confidently as if he had the crown on his head'. After years of neglect, Monmouth Chambers was restored by Mrs. D. Brown, M.A., M.B.E., of Bristol, in 1992. Assisted by Frome Historic Buildings Trust, Mendip D. C. and English Heritage.

James Scott, 1st Duke of Monmouth, 1st Duke of Buccleuch, KG, PC (9 April 1649 – 15 July 1685), was an English nobleman. Originally called James Crofts or James Fitzroy, he was born in Rotterdam in the Netherlands, the eldest illegitimate son of Charles II of England and his mistress, Lucy Walter. He served in the Second Anglo-Dutch War and commanded English troops taking part in the Third Anglo-Dutch War before commanding the Anglo-Dutch brigade fighting in the Franco-Dutch War. In 1685 he led the unsuccessful Monmouth Rebellion, an attempt to depose his uncle, King James II. Declaring himself the legitimate King, Monmouth attempted to capitalise on his position as the son of Charles II, and his Protestantism, in opposition to James, who was a Roman Catholic. The rebellion failed, and Monmouth was beheaded for treason on 15 July 1685.

Source: dbpedia

Local area map loading...
All plaques in Frome

Tell us what you know about James Scott black plaque in Frome

BluePlaquePlaces.co.uk is a Good Stuff website.