A former house on this site was occupied by a merchant of Bruges, John Asger. He was elected Mayor of Norwich in 1426. Another of his properties, next to St Lawrence's church, was gifted to a group of poor, religious women or beguines. This was one of 3 beguinages in Norwich, not found anywhere else in England. There is a memorial to Asger in St Lawrence's church.