John Cole, Thomas Cole, and Skelton Cole bronze plaque in Sheffield
John, Thomas and Skelton Cole, described as silk mercers and hosiers etc. opened a store at No 4 Fargate in 1847. The business prospered and a large new drapery store was erected on this site in 1869 designed by local architects Flockton & Abbott. The pavement outside the store became known as 'Coles Corner' and for many generations became a favourite meeting place and landmark in the city. This tradition largely disappeared with the closing of the store in 1963 and its relocation in Barkers Pool.