Dr. John Collis Browne MRCS (1819–1884) was a British Army officer, inventor of items for yachts and the originator of the medicine Chlorodyne. Browne first used the remedy in India in 1848, when there was an outbreak of cholera, whilst he was serving with the 98th Regiment of Foot as their surgeon. In 1856 he left the army and went into partnership with John Thistlewood Davenport, a chemist, then at 33 Great Russell Street, to whom he assigned the sole right to manufacture and market Chlorodyne which, since the Medicines Act of 1968 has been known as 'J. Collis Browne's Compound'. It was still marketed by J.T. Davenport & Sons - the same family - up until the 1960s.Dr Browne died at Mount Albion House, Ramsgate, on 30 August 1884. He is buried in St Lawrence churchyard, Ramsgate.Upon Browne's death plans were made by Messrs Davenport to erect a plaque on the house in which he had lived in his memory. The plaque was designed by William Sharpington, the distinguished lettering craftsman, and unveiled by the Mayor of Ramsgate on 8 May 1973. Dr N.M. Goodman recorded the event in The Lancet' published under the heading 'IN ENGLAND NOW - a Running Commentary by Peripatetic Correspondents'.