John Gilbert Holmes, John Gibson, National Provincial Bank, and Cleveland Club green plaque in Middlesbrough
Cleveland Club 1872 On this site stood the house of John Gilbert Holmes, one of the town's first shipbuilders. The present building was designed in the French Baroque style by John Gibson for the National and Provincial Bank. In 1948 the Cleveland Club began using the building as an informal meeting place for business people.
National Provincial Bank was a British retail bank which operated in England and Wales from 1833 until its merger into the National Westminster Bank in 1970; it remains a registered company but is currently dormant.Considered one of the "Big Five," it expanded during the 19th and 20th centuries and took over a number of smaller banking companies. It was based on Bishopsgate, at the thoroughfare's junction with Threadneedle Street, in London.